Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween

It's the 31st of October right now and we all know what is going on today. It's Halloween. Yay. It's the day where fear is finally celebrated and ghouls and other supernatural entities are glorified to some extent... unless you're in a cult that worships something that can threaten mankind to its extinction. (Forgive my sick imagination.)

It only comes once a year just like Christmas but unlike Christmas, people here in my place are not preparing for it so I can't really feel the presence of Halloween. With Christmas, people are already excited as September approaches and Christmas is still three damn months away! I can already hear Christmas songs playing in malls and on the radio as early as September. Ugh. "Not now" is the sentence that pops in my head when I hear Christmas songs that early. I know. I'm being a killjoy but please. Not now.

It sucks that Halloween is never felt here. October 31st is just like Christmas Eve here where everyone has no work or classes but there's nothing much going on at night in most areas except when you're living in some high-standard village or if your place even cares to celebrate such holiday.

Instead, we celebrate a holiday called All Saints' Day on November 1st. It's part of our tradition to go to cemeteries on that day and spend the whole day honoring the memories of those who once lived. Candles and flowers on the dead's tombstone. Families on their tents eating and chatting. That is what the cemeteries look like every 1st of November. Most people enjoy it, I guess. But for me, it's getting a little boring lately. It's been the same people I've been seeing since I was young. There's nothing in hell that I can do except to wait for the night to come to make my companions pack up and call it a day.

When we get home, we light a candle outside our home once again in honor of the dead and that's about it. That's how we celebrate Halloween here. It's a little lame in my opinion but that's the way it is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment