Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Blame Game

The efforts of us students are not enough to enhance our knowledge. An additional push from mentors is also needed to give students the motivation to study. But from what I'm seeing, it's all going down. I don't know who I should blame but there are three things or sides I've come up.

First is the school. The school may have a diverse roster of faculty who practice what they are supposed to teach but there are instances where a practitioner can't communicate what he or she is supposed to teach. I don't know if he or she is somewhat forced to teach a subject because the school's faculty is not enough. What I mean is the school lacks mentors who are good in their fields and can properly teach what they know.

We then have the mentors. There are a few mentors who have that kind of quality in my realm. That one good quality that I mentioned above by the way. Some just know how to talk the talk but they have little to no experience of the application of what they teach and it goes to a situation where the mentor just rambles on and on but he or she is not making any sense at all.

There are times when mentors just find ways or events to cite examples of what they are supposed to elaborate. Some mentors rely too much on books to guide them. What about what they actually know about the subject?

Of course, who can forget about mentors who have no idea what to do at all? What's worse is that they hold the students' fates to finish education but they are not doing anything except for wasting time and air and making students' lives miserable. It sucks that they are the ones to be looked up to but some of them act like they don't. It's just disappointing.

And we finally have the students. Of course, we have a role in this game of blame. Most of us are focusing too much on, I don't know, the social aspect of college. It's like we're still breathing in the same air of high school. I know it's good to make connections and stuff but we don't have to neglect the privilege to learn and pick up new knowledge that is vital to the next chapter of our lives which unfolds after graduation. (What I said also pierced my mind.) We need this push from our mentors but we also need to push ourselves if their push is not enough. If you can't be motivated by your mentor, find motivation somewhere else.

I know this rant may offend some people. If it doesn't, well, it's nice because it's not meant to offend someone. I just want to wake myself up because I'm in an academic mess and I hope this will be my eye-opener or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment