Monday, December 19, 2011

Drama in the Apocalypse

Two sisters. Two planets. When they all collide, it's a unique, haunting, dramatic and powerful story.That's how it is in Lars Von Trier's Melancholia.


Melancholia is about two sisters named Justine and Claire (Kirsten Dunst and Charlotte Gainsbourg). Justine has just been wedded to Michael (Alexander Skarsgard) and Claire, together with her husband John (Kiefer Sutherland), prepares a party for the newlyweds. As the party goes, Justine slowly grows distant and depressed. Meanwhile, Melancholia, a rogue planet that has been hiding behind the sun, shows up and threatens to collide with Earth.


Von Trier has a knack for writing good and unique stories and is also gifted in bringing his ideas to screen and life. I have seen this and his recent film prior to this which is Antichrist that also stars Charlotte Gainsbourg in the lead role and so far, I can tell his works are very original indeed. He can bring out the best of his actors especially in Melancholia where Kirsten Dunst brings an exceptional performance as Justine who slowly descends into depression and accepts calmly her fate in the hands of Melancholia. I agree with what the critics has to say for Kirsten. This is truly a career breakthrough for her. Charlotte Gainsbourg, on the other hand, switches gears from being a woman manifesting a twisted behavior in Antichrist to a fragile and scared Claire in this film. She can get emotional without overacting so much.



Melancholia has become one of my all-time favorites instantly. I loved how the film has this realistic feel to me. I was somehow absorbed in this film as I watched it and the characters begin to brace for Melancholia, I can feel what they are going through without relating myself to them. The movie is dramatically epic and as the end unfolds, I can't help but to brace myself. Until now, the images of Melancholia left me a bit tormented and thinking.

RATING: 5/5


TRAILER:

(Trailer courtesy of YouTube)


No comments:

Post a Comment